Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 1609A trannies

  1. #1
    Hostboard Member misterdwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2004
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had this posted in another thread but decided to repost it in case it was getting over looked.

    All this talk of bi-amping. Well now I've got a set of 1609a coming thanx to the bay. I was really interested in getting a set of these last year. I talked with the seller this evening and he says they work fine but one of them is missing the matching / bridging transformer.

    I have question. OK, Two or three...

    Of the two recommended plug-in trannys which is more appropriate for a home system the 15095A? 15335A?

    Does anyone here have a set that they would sell, or trade?

    Also, I seem to remember reading that it is possible to run these amps with out the plug-in trannys by shorting the correct pins together in their sockets? is that correct or true?
    I am going to using these in my home system, which at this time is eight 3156 drivers mounted in four 8256 cabs that are stacked two cabs a side in a line array scheme. With a 299-16a / MRII 594(Thanks to S. Fogg for the MRII's) horns shelved inbetween the cabs. Currently I use 1285-8b XO's.

    I'm actually quite happy with the perfomance at this time. But as my roommate used to say, "That stereo never stays the same!".
    DwayneB

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The best bet for what you're wanting to do is direct input, by inserting 2 jumpers (12 ga solid wire works OK, bend a short "U") in the input octal socket, one from 8 to 1, and one from 7 to 6. Connect your + and - to the terminal strip, and also strap the - to gnd on the strip, or you'll lose 6dB on top of the relatively low consumer gear output.

    You're not likely to ever need xfmr isolation in a home setup, but if ever needed, the 15335A is what you'd want for connecting consumer, Hi-z gear, or the 15095A for low-z pro gear.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Meant to also recommend you power the entire system from the same phase line (same "leg" of house 240V). Can save chasing hum down later.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, OG,

    Yeah, I've been pretty busy, trying to complete some seemingly-never-ending projects, doing the requisite rent-paying clock-punching to keep those projects in supplies, and squeezing in some fishing as weather permits (caught a 10 lb+ walleye Tuesday night). GM probably thinks I've abandoned a project he's assisted me with, but it's moving along fine, and I hope to have a report on it soon. I've found that I'm the hardest customer to please I've got... forums

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    1609A trannies


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The fish lives! Haven't seen you around much.

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member misterdwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2004
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ThanX for the responce I'll be setting the amps up this weekend. I got my fingers crossed hoping they work well.
    DwayneB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.